Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Septic System

  Our landlady said to me: You haven't ever lived in the country, dear, have you?
  Well back home that would be Glen Burnie or Timonium. But no, Baltimore City born and raised.
  Well dear when I lived in Boston I used to say you could flush a dead body down your toilet and no one would notice.
  That sounds about right. Though in Baltimore it would go down easier if you chopped it up first.
  She agreed. (I just smiled.)
  She took me to the side of the house and showed me a large curved pipe coming out of the ground that was surrounded by concrete.
  That's the septic system dear, be careful what you flush. And if you miss your city concrete, you can play on top of that like my grandkids. You can take the person out of the city but you can't take the city out of the person. 
  I think I can get my concrete fix down in Brattleboro but thanx.

  I can cross well and septic off my bucket list. Never ever again will I have it.

  Today is laundry day in town. Who knows what I will learn there.

2 comments:

  1. We had in-ground septic systems everywhere we lived when I was growing up in Harford County. At one house, every time we flushed, we could look out the window and watch a piece of the back yard rise and fall, like a monster might be trying to escape. Our septic system amused visitors from far and wide. Just for fun, ask Sharon to stand on that concrete slab and watch what happens when you flush... Then report back! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ladies! Nice blog! Make sure to take lots of pictures, even ones of the septic tank!

    ReplyDelete