Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sharon takes a spill

  Early Tuesday morning around 1 a.m., I got up to go to the bathroom. I must not have been fully awake because I found myself dropping to the floor. Terri woke up and I said to her, "I think I broke my ankle!" I have never broken a bone before. I've had plenty of stitches but no breaks.
  We waited a bit to see if I was correct in my thought that it was broke. She put me back in bed with plans to go to the hospital in the morning. The next day, I couldn't put any pressure on my foot so she called 911. Two of the nicest medics came to my aid. They put my leg in a pressure cast. The cast formed around my ankle and leg, full of air, and it took a lot of the pain away as they took me to the ambulance. The morphine did a much better job when I got to the hospital.
  After some X-rays the doctor came in and told me I broke my fibula. I asked where it was broken and he said, "Where it hurts!" I didn't find that funny at the time. But I felt better about my situation when the orthopedic doctor came to see me after visiting a patient who had broken ribs 3 through 9. I received a splint that would come off on Friday, once the swelling went down. Then I would get a cast or a boot.
  Terri and I found one patient in particular rather interesting. She was in the bed next  to me, and had come in to be treated for "double pneumonia." The doctor wanted to know if she had quit smoking yet.
  She very proudly said, "YES!"
  He asked how long ago.
  "3 weeks, maybe 4...almost a month!"
   The doctor said, "Come see me in a year and we'll talk."
My Herman Munster foot

  Friday morning we went to Dr. Thatcher's office and received good news. The break was stable enough that I could be fitted with a boot instead of a traditional cast. It's now Sunday and my leg and ankle still hurt all the time. I am looking forward to the swelling going down so I can put a sock on my foot. The prognosis is very good.
  I have to wear the boot for about 4 weeks, then wear an ankle brace for a few more weeks. I am getting used to my new crutches and am doing pretty well.
  This is where I have to tell the whole world what an exceptional person I was lucky enough to marry. If it was not for her, I don't know where I would be. She gets me up in the morning and puts me in the living room for the day. She makes sure I have snacks and Ginger Ale. My phone and the computer are charged and within reach. And she puts me to bed every night, all of this without any complaints. She is the best woman in the world.
  This has been a year of firsts for me. We moved out of state; I picked up pneumonia, broke my leg and rode in an ambulance, all for the first time of my life. Don't think all this is lost on me. Plus it's my birthday on the 21st, I will be 45.
  I want to end on this. I really am ok. The doctor said it was a clean fracture and I didn't need surgery. For that I am grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment